Thursday, February 13, 2014

Ugly Guys Need not Apply (Or: I'm SO Fabulous)



I just watched the first episode of season one of Catfish. For those who have never seen the show, it's about people who have had an online relationship with someone they've never met in person.

The girl in this episode, Sunny, thinks she's really in love with the model RJ King. I was aghast. I didn't watch the whole thing and it's because I just couldn't take it anymore.

I kind of felt bad for Sunny. But there's something so self-centered that I just can't get past it. What is the likelihood of a famous, wealthy person falling in love with some average girl over the internet?

What makes a girl like this so naive and convinced that this could happen to her? I'll bet he meets hundreds of women a day: models, actresses, stylists, personal trainers, and even normal girls. Would he really go online to find a woman? 

What made her feel that she really stood out enough to get the attention of this model? He's been in magazines, worked for huge brands, and traveled to places she's probably only dreamed of seeing (or never even heard of before).

Social media may actually bring us together in a way, but it also brings out some of our worst qualities. Narcissism has been cited heavily, but this type of behavior is probably also a side effect. Personally, I can barely tell whether a guy I went out with after meeting on a dating site likes me. Forget about believing that I'm actually dating a model. 

No comments: