Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Sisterhood of Travel





I went on vacation to Miami recently with expectation in my eye that this would be a great trip with my friend of fifteen some odd years. I was disappointed to learn the truth. When someone is a certain way in everyday life; they're not going to change suddenly because the locale changed.



She and I apparently have different ideas of what's fun and what's not. Although I had told her my intentions (and she agreed on the terms) for our time there, it seemed like when we got there; suddenly she was tired. She got way more sleep than I did. I think I slept all of twenty hours that week.



I tried to do the things she wanted to do, drink and eat the things she wanted and tried to be as entertaining as possible. But it was to no avail. This was not what I imagined and suddenly I was having a not so great time. The energy (or lack thereof) a person can sometimes determine how you feel too.

Sufficed to say, it wasn't my favorite trip ever. The last time I went on vacation with a friend it was to California and it was awesome. We didn't eat, we stayed out late and we laughed a lot. But she's a completely different person than the friend who I recently went with.


So what's the deal with traveling with a friend? Make sure you're on the same page. Drill them and get to the bottom of it. Because whoever they are in daily life is who they will be on vacation. Eventually you have to trust them, but my advice is that if you have fun with them in your normal environment; you'll have fun out there: wherever that is. What do you think?

No comments: