Monday, September 15, 2008

Dentyne Computer Themed Ads



I began to see computer message themed ads from Dentyne on the trains. At first I thought they were beautifully photographed. One featured a man kissing a woman who sat inside a taxi with a cute saying underneath that read "The Original Instant Message". There are several of these which have apparently begun to annoy certain New Yorkers because they're everywhere.

These ads have annoyed me as well, but not because they're plastered everywhere. Seemingly cute, all American themed, these ads at first glance can be refreshing. Upon closer examination, however, things become painfully clear of what type of "All American" these ads are targeting, non-minority. Read: White, heterosexuals, in their mid twenties to early thirties.

Would it kill Dentyne to promote interracial dating, friendship, or life as it actually is? Not to mention, that they don't show men with other men, only two women who are friends according to the message underneath and the majority are men and women together or people over thirty (or under their mid-twenties for that matter). It seems like they are creating their perfect demographic by only showing this small group of people in their ads.

I am amazed that Dentyne has singlehandedly managed to exclude minorities, those in their forties and above, and gays and lesbians. Yes, these ads are free of any seeming controversy alright, except if the majority of New Yorkers who include many different ages, races and sexual preferences took notice, I'm sure they would not be pleased. Shame on you Dentyne!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well apparently Dentyne was listening, you got your wish. There is a new TV spot (06/14/10) that has a black guy laying a long kiss on a white girl and personally I find that offensive.So the moral is you can't please all the people all the time. I guess if you want to really make your point about being "all inclusive" and "life as it really is" perhaps you'd also like to see a pedophile kissing a child in a passionate manner eh? Your political correctness is killing America. I'll bet a 1000 to 1 you're one of this smarmy sensitive jews who whines a lot aren't you?

Shannon said...

I also came to post about the Dentyne pure commercial with the interracial kiss. I write a review blog about gum, and our post about Dentyne pure has already been vandalized by bigots who are offended by the kiss. It's amazing that in this day and age something as simple as a kiss causes such horrible reactions from people, as evidenced by the post before mine. (Comparing an interracial kiss to a pedophile? Really?) I commend Dentyne for trying, but unfortunately I think that they are going to get some very bad press because of this.

Anonymous said...

Shannon, I didn't compare an interracial kiss to a pedophile, apparently you weren't paying attention when I wrote this. I was making a point about how the whining liberals want to include "everyone" so as not to hurt any one demographics feelings. It would seem to me if you want to sell any product you would market it to the masses and what they find commonplace. While it is 2010 and we've come a long way, it is safe to say that the majority of white women don't date and kiss black men. If you want to touch on issues that are at the fringe of tradition just to push the envelope, what about including pedophiles as well Dentyne? I mean after all, what about their feelings? I hope I've made my point. Don't be asinine.

Shannon said...

You try to sound intelligent, Anonymous (I happen to find it hilarious that every single post by bigots like you on this topic are "anonymous") but all of your points become invalid when you make a comment like "I'll bet a 1000 to 1 you're one of this smarmy sensitive jews who whines a lot aren't you?" Your true colors are shining bright, Racist, and your retort is as asinine as your original insensitive post.

David Hilton said...

I saw the Dentyne commercial with a chimp kissing miss Darla Taylor...that's the filthy bitch's name. I find it utterly disgusting. I've already called and emailed Dentyne and informed them that I WILL NOT be buying any more of their products after being a customer for decades.

It seems to me that all the liberals that preach equality have never actually lived around these sub-humans. Well I have my whole life down in the southern US. I can assure you they are in no way equal to white people, neither mentally nor socially.

Oh and before you label me a stupid uneducated redneck racist from the south...I have a Bachelors in History and Political Science and an MBA in IT Management. So how does that fit in with your little preconceptions...

Anonymous said...

In most cases racism is taught, so I'm going to have to assume that you were taught/raised by the wrong people. 

There's actually no reason to even respond to the rest of your distasteful post since you do enough damage to your integrity. Even other biggots would be offended by your ridiculous post. The only "sub-humans" are those that commit deplorable acts, and even lower, those that believe they are above another. Such as yourself for instance.

 I'm also sure that Dentyne is happy to have lost your business.

Other anon,

"it is safe to assume that the majority of white women do not date and kiss black men"

It probably is safe to assume that, for obvious population diversity statistics. It is also safe to assume that the majority of white women, or any demographic, don't share your personal views.

To even suggest that pedophiles are a part of society and would therefor be a part of any demographic, no matter how "all-inclusive," is still ludicrous.
By your logic then we might consider murderers, rapists, all other sorts that commit morally reprehensible acts as demographics. The author simply believed that more than one normal one should be portrayed in the media.